Thursday, February 19, 2009

Social Bookmarking Soul Mate

I was happily surprised after a great deal of searching that I was able to find a social bookmarking soul mate. The process of finding a soul mate though, was much more intense than I thought it would be. Because the Israel Palestine War is a very specific topic rather than a more generic matter, finding similar tag interests to other people took a lot more time. I searched every possible variation of the Israeli-Palestinian War that I could possibly imagine, and it wasn’t until I typed “Palestine War”, that I came across my soul mate.
But I was able to find my soul mate, and his name is Kent. When looking at his bookmarking page, I immediately noticed his top ten tags. “2008, Israel, Palestine, war, politics, gaza, 2009”, all tags that were directly related to the Israel Palestine War. He has 712 bookmarks, and of those I looked through around 50 of them. Of the 50 that I looked at, he had commented on a little less than half of the bookmarks. But I don’t really think that the amount of times he commented on the various websites really has any correlation with how good the bookmarks actually are. I felt as though many of the bookmarks were not only very relevant, but also extremely informative. From the titles of his most popular bookmarks it is noticeable that many of Kent’s sites are regarding current events, and news articles about the war. At the same time, I also think that it is interesting that there are many different opinion sites with regards to the war that he has bookmarked, for instance there is an intifada.org site he references as well as the polar opposite, antiwar.com site. It is clear that through his bookmarks he wants people to make their own, well-informed opinions about the war by looking at many different sites concerning the issue. The issues surrounding the war that he has seemed to gravitate towards are the political and social issues surrounding this war. “Dissident Voice: Israel Asserting Middle East Supremacy: From Gaza to Tehran”, and “Those People in Gaza: Where Do They Come From, And Why Are They So Mad?,” two very specific titles of bookmarked sites that convey the theme of political and social issues that Kent seems to bookmark frequently.
It took a long time to find, but this was a very good soul mate match for me. His tags have introduced me to some sites that I don’t think I would have originally found.

-Decibel

1 comment: